Replacement of gluten in fresh bread is one of the biggest challenges, when developing gluten-free cereal products. Major quality issues faced are poor crumb volume and elasticity, resulting in a brittle and crumbly texture that stales quickly.
Potato proteins that significantly improve volume and crumb texture
Solanic® offers significant benefits in various gluten-free bakery applications. As no standard ‘one-size-fits-all’ solution exists, tailored recipe development in combination with other ingredients is required. The potato protein has various gluten-free food applications:
- Bread: Potato protein is used in gluten-free bread for improved loaf volume, color and crumb structure. This applies to bread mixes for home-baking, long shelf-life and frozen breads, and even fresh breads.
- Dough: In pizza dough and tortillas Solanic® supports dough handling through improved cohesiveness and enhances volume and texture.
- Cakes and Muffins: In cakes and muffins improved crumb softness is achieved.
- Pasta: In gluten-free pasta the right binding and bite are obtained.
Benefits of Solanic® potato protein
Solanic® improves the nutritional balance of gluten-free products, which are often poor in protein compared to wheat-based products. Other benefits of Solanic® potato proteins in gluten-free foods:
- Foaming plus setting upon baking
- Giving even crumb structure with softness
- Controlled oven spring
- Better volume, shape and colour
- No allergen labeling
- Enhanced nutritional quality